Here's a real treat for the lunch box. Adding dired cherries and chocolate chips
turns classic oatmeal cookies into something new.
Yield: Makes 2 dozen
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1-1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup dried tart cherries
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Note: Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
- Position racks in center and top third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl until
- Mix in egg and both extracts.
- Beat in flour mixture.
- Mix in oats, then chocolate chips, cherries and almonds.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto bking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies 12 minutes.
- Switch and rotate baking sheets.
- Bake cookies until golden, about 6 minutes longer.
- Cool cookies on baking sheets (cookies will firm as they cool).